Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Great Yo-Yo

Things have been so up and down with E, but mostly down.  She has enclosed herself in her room at the home where we are staying.  BUT.....there are signs that my sweet daughter I met in the orphanage is still there.

We are staying with an incredible missionary couple.  I think I have mentioned that before, but it is worth mentioning again....they are INCREDIBLE!!!  So on Saturday, they spent the morning with E and I, showing her parts of Kiev.  We went into Maidan which is where the protestors have barricaded themselves for the past month.  All I could say was WOW!!!  To see all these people, staying in the cold, day and night, trying to fight for a better government.  I don't think, right now, E truly appreciates being there but one day when she's older and has a better comprehension, she will be blessed to have been included in that part of history.

So some "Mom Highlights."  1) She posed with me for a picture, 2) She actually put both arms around me...like a hug...for the pictures, 3) She ate lunch, 4) we laughed while I showed her how to use the tokens for the metro, and 5) she gave me a kiss when I bought her a traditional Ukrainian shirt.  And just before you criticize that and say "of course she kissed you, you bought her something."  Let me give you 6) I asked to buy her the shirt...she said "Nyet"...I said "pozhaluysta (please) for Mama" (with a pitty face) and she agreed.  She really does appreciate having this shirt.  She may never wear it, but it was important to me that she had this from her country.

But when we got back to the house.....in her room she went.  There was even a gathering at the house with 3 other adoptive families and their Ukrainian children (one of which is staying at this house too).  She wanted no part of it and no part of befriending the daughter of the family staying here too.  So, I let her stay in her room and just told her we were leaving at 1:45 pm to go to church the next day.  She said, OK.

So today, we both slept in.  She was up and dressed when I went in her room to check on her.  We arrived at church and we helped with setting up the chairs.  She asked (on the translator) "What happens next?"  I told her "church."   This is an international church.  The missionary couple we are staying with are the pastors at the church.  The sermon is in English but there are headsets people can wear to hear the Russian translation.   E wore her headset the ENTIRE time!!!  After church, we all (the missionaries, the other adoptive family and their daughter...I'll call her M, and us) got on the metro to head home.  While on the metro, the walls came down and E and M started talking....then giggling...then whispering and giggling....then shared a seat!!!  I told the other mother that they are probably making fun of me but I didn't give a hoot because she is FINALLY laughing...with a PERSON....Not on the phone.  In fact, she actually only talked on her phone like twice today!!!



SO we get back to the house, I make her a plate of dinner and used my "Mom Voice" told her to sit and eat with a big pointy finger to the dinner table and a deep "DA!"(yes).  Annnd, she sat and ate....then grabbed a bag of chips that she and M shared....on the couch...in the living room!!!!  She only went to her room to go to bed tonight.  Hallelujah!!!!  I am just praising The Lord.   I can't even tell you how amazing God is to see this change in E.  ANNNNND, she said "Thank you".... IN ENGLISH.....Voluntarily....twice!!!!  Wow, just wow!!!

I know this all may crash tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about that now.  I'm going to wallow in
blessings as God provides them!!!

So, now down to business.  We need your prayers.  These are the details of  "what's next."  In order to go home, E needs a Visa issued by the US Embassy....in order to get the Visa, E needs the results of her medical exam to give to the US Embassy....in order to get the results of her medical exam, E needs her passport.  Here comes the specific details....tomorrow we will confirmation that E's passport is finished and on a train making its way to us.  We have to have the passport before 11 am on Tuesday because the medical office closes at 11 and then the Embassy closes at 3.  We need her visa issued on Tuesday so we can fly home Wednesday morning.

THE PROBLEM.....if we don't have her passport by Tuesday....we can not get it until after January 7th.  All governmental offices close down from January 1st through January 7th.  So E and I will be stuck here until then.  Its really been hard on E.  She is basically in limbo here.  She's not in her region or orphanage anymore....but yet she isn't home either.

PLEASE pray we hear positive news tomorrow and the next post you read is one telling you how God has worked a miracle and accomplished what everyone said couldn't be done.....and brought us home.

Thanks and love to all!!!







 













No comments:

Post a Comment