Sunday, February 9, 2014

One Month (and a week)

We have been home a little over five weeks.  WOW!!!  I can't believe I can say that.  So let me just tell ya.....we never had that much of a "honeymoon" period.  Nope, we had melt downs right away.  Our social worker said that was good...meant that E was "comfortable" with us.  (I don't think I'm on board with that theory).  Anyway we had a major meltdown with E about 2 weeks ago.  (We later have realized the language barrier really affected the understanding of the sitwution as well).  Since then.....I can say....we are having great bonding opportunities.....I mean how can you not when school has been cancelled every other day????

So the weather has been a problem.  LOTS OF SNOW!!!!  Seriously, I don't think the girls have attended a full week of school since Christmas break.  This is CRAZY..... I am CRAZY!!!  Like I want to bang on the doors of the school ...... beg them to take my girls.  Sorry folks, I am not the "Yay my babies are home, lets check out Pinterest for fun things we can do together and post it on Facebook" kind of mom.  I'm the "I have got to go to work....who's taking my girls today people???" kind of mom.  Sorry to disappoint.  I bow down to homeschool moms....I think you are OUT OF YOUR MIND....but I bow down to you.



So the highlights:
E going to school, not knowing the language
E wearing a school uniform....it was like torture to her (she's good with it now)
E picking out sweaters to wear with her school uniform and a new pair of shoes (this was a huge step) 
Monster Truck Show


Getting new friends in our life (who speak Russian, woohoo) and E likes them too (double woohoo) and they introduced us to their Russian Baptist Church (triple woohoo) and E LIKES the church (YAY YAY YAY)
L got all As on her grade card, despite spending the first 5 weeks of the 9 week grading period in Ukraine
F had a tonsillectomy, spent the night in the hospital, still recovering 
E needs glasses (lets see if she will actually wear them....that will be another post)
E got a haircut (actually it could barely be called a trim)....E realized Mama and Papa were not really plotting to chop all her hair off
E's first school trip (skiing)
L is celebrating her 12th birthday
ALL 3 girls enjoy their grandparents (I am quite jealous of this one.....not because they want to be at their grandparents....because I WANT to be at the grandparents too...their grandparents ROCK!!!)

Lessons I have learned:
This journey is not about MY FEELINGS, but my FAITHFULNESS 
As hard it is to not be able to communicate with my daughter....it is harder on her to not be able to communicate with her Mama
I thought L would have a difficult time getting used to having a big sister....turns out it is F....F wants to do the things her big sisters are doing....she can't wait to be big
There is no amount of preparation you can do to be ready to parent a 14 year old girl
PATIENCE (enough said)
I MUST be a reflection of God's love......I must stand there with arms wide open, waiting to show unconditional love to my girls....(I have to admit, its tough to do this sometimes....I don't always want to act like the parent and show unconditional love....there are times I want to act like the 13 year old girl and say mean things right back....but I don't...I want to....but I don't...."Help me love them God")  Maybe you could add me to your prayer list. 










3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just got finished reading your blog:) So interesting! We are about finished with our paperwork for a Ukrainian adoption so have been absorbing all the blogs:) In one of your posts you mentioned meeting two families in Ukraine that were adopting and they were from AL. Would you happen to have any contact info for them or blog or anything? We are from AL also and would love to contact them! Thanks! God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://bringinglenahome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete